Genetic testing also know as DNA testing, allows the determination of blood lines and the genetic diagnosis of vulnerabilities to inherited diseases. Genetic testing cans be used to determine a child’s parentage ( genetic mother and father ) or in general a person’s ancestry or biological relationship between a person’s ancestry or biological relationship between people. Genetic testing identifies changes in chromosomes, genes, or proteins. It involves analyzing multiple genes to determine the risks of developing certain more common diseases such as heart disease and cancer. The results of a genetic test can confirm or rule out a suspected genetic condition or help determine a person’s chance of developing or passing on a genetic disorder. Several hundred genetic tests are currently in use, and more are being developed.
- Newborn screening
- Diagnostic testing
- Carrier testing
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis
- Prenatal diagnosis
- Predictive and presymptomatic testing
- Forensic testing
- Paternity testing
- Genealogical DNA test.
Benefits of Genetic Testing
- Testing negative for an abnormality helps to avoid unnecessary check ups.
- Testing positive for a mutation enables a person to look for preventive or treatment options.
- Genetic testing helps to identify people who are more prone to develop a medical condition that may be preventable. For example, asymptomatic people with the BRCA gene mutation (Harmful mutations in these genes may produce a hereditary breast-ovarian cancer syndrome in affected persons) may opt to remove their breasts and ovaries as a prophylactic measure (preventive or protective measure).
- Certain genetic screening can also help people to take decisions about having children.
- Some tests allow families to prevent passing on these problems to the next generation, by not producing children with incurable and devastating diseases or abnormalities.
- Screening in new born children helps to identify a genetic abnormality early in life. This helps to start treatment as early as possible.
At HumGene we offer the following genetic testing :
Cancer Genetic test (e.g, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer)
Brain disorder genetic test (e.g, Alzheimers, parkinsons, Schizpphrenia
Dietary genetic test
How to order for a Genetic Test
Order our kit online
order for a testing kit.
Provide saliva sample
Provide swabs from both cheeks by following the instructions given in the package.
HumGene analyzes your DNA and updates you via your personal email address.
See your results
Once your DNA is analyzed, you will receive an email with the result.